Something else important to me...

I know it's been awhile. I'm not even sure I have any followers out there any more, but other things have been consuming my time lately. But I promise, many good Girls' Camp crafts to come as that is my current church assignment. So if I do still have followers, I know many of you don't know me personally, so I am going to take a minute to let you in on a little personal family info.

Nearly 9 years ago, my husband was diagnosed with a horrible disease called Crohn's disease. (You can learn more about it here.)  It is an awful disease that I would not wish upon anyone. He had this disease when I met and married him, and with each defining moment in our lives it continued to get worse. (It tends to react to stress.) One year ago this very month, Eric went in for a routine colonoscopy that ended up being anything but routine. It turned out the doctor perforated his colon during the procedure. Eighteen hours later (because the perforation went undiagnosed that long) he was rushed into emergency surgery in the middle of night. I honestly believed that would be the last time I saw him because infection had taking over his body, he was becoming septic, and so much pressure had built up against his lungs and heart. Little did we know that this was all a blessing in disguise. Eric's surgeon made the decision to remove his entire large intestine leaving him with a permanent ileostomy. Eric's Crohn's was essentially gone and he was the healthiest I had ever known him to be. It changed our lives completely for the better. My kids had a new daddy, I had a new husband, my in-laws a new son. 

Well, just months shy of our anticipated anniversary since surgery, Eric's Crohn's returned. Although it's not as bad (yet), it is even more scary. Since his colon is already gone, we are left with fewer options for treatment. 

Not long after Eric's surgery, I discovered this walk that would be 1 year almost to the day of his surgery and made it a family goal for us to participate. Because we knew our options would be few if Eric's Crohn's ever returned, it was more and more important for us to do our part to find a cure for this evil disease. After the Crohn's returned, I sort of pushed this to the back of my mind while dealing with the issues at hand, but I was reminded today that this really is the important to us as well as to the other 1.4 million Americans suffering with Crohn's or Colitis. And some of my children and grandchildren will likely suffer from the disease as well.
So in just a short week and a half our family will be walking. All of us. Together. Because we LOVE our Daddy. And we LOVE him healthy. Although you may not know me, us, or Eric, you most likely know someone who has or is suffering with Crohn's or Colitis, publicly or privately. For this reason, I ask you to join our cause.  Walk with us or donate, whatever you can do. Please support us, however you can, even if it's just your prayers. You can view our team page and join or donate HERE. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.